Saturday, March 6, 2010

Online Learning

WebQuests are something I am for sure going to create and integrate into my classroom. I think they will help tremendously with Science and Social Studies, two subjects my students struggle with the most. My students also need help with following directions and navigating the Internet, which WebQuests will assist with as well. Two types of pedagogical strategies I want to use with my students with these Webquests would be Problem Solving and the Deductive strategy.I also think my students could benefit with Online Field Trips, especially since I have an enormous Promethean Board in my classroom:) Its hard to leave the school to learn sometimes so this way the learning could come to us. Educational Blogs would be tremendously hard to do with my students. I teach in a very economically challenged environment. The majority of my students do not have a computer and if they do they don't have Internet. The class I have now is the most challenging class Ive had in my five years of teaching. Most do not have proficient keyboarding skills, which is something we are working on now. Socially, they have a really hard time getting along, working together and respecting each other. Unfortunately, I fear my students would use the blog to post inappropiate comments that were not school related.

5 comments:

  1. There are a ton of online resources for virtual field trips. There is even a site that will walk you through creating your very own. I like to use my mimio (interactive white board) with web cams. My students and I have been following a pair of Bald Eagles for the past two years. Last year was a bummer, though. Both of the chicks didn't make it - the nest was attacked by another eagle. Did you know that MSU has a virtual field garden trip? Link: http://4hgarden.msu.edu/kidstour/tour.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully taking your students on online field trips and creating webquests for them to use will help your students improve on their technology and keyboarding skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a really challenging class about 10 years ago. I was given a book called tribes (sorry I can't remember the author) and it reall changed the atmosphere of my room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virtual field trips, would be a great way to give your students experiences with things that they would not otherwise be able to; especially considering their backgrounds that you mentioned! As you also said, so much can be done through WebQuests in areas or subjects that are abstract because of the range of situations and opportunities that all of our students come to us with! Challenging classes can be very tiresome; keep your chin up!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Allyson, sounds like you have had a tough year with your students. I love the idea of virtual field trips. Another new thing I've just learnt about! I can see that a lot of your WebQuest and StAIR projects will have to be classroom based with the lack of IT outside of the class for your students. Well done on making a difference. Good luck with the technology!

    ReplyDelete