Sunday, January 31, 2010

Additional considerations made when creating computer based objects for students to use independently.

Some things to consider when creating something like a StAIR or webquest:
1. Are the technology resources available to you are reliable? Students are to be able to do this independently. Are you going to have to keep running over to assist them due to tech issues?
2. Again, students are to be able to do this independently. Thus, each activity needs to be designed to specific students needs in order for that to happen. For any topic I cover in my 5th grade class, if I did a webquest or a StAIR, Id have to make 2 versions because I have 10 out of 30 in my class special ed and those ten have a reading level from K-2.
3. Does it support student thinking, critical thinking?
4. Is it time efficient?
5. Is it engaging and motivational?
6. Is the information relevant?
7. Are there specific learning objectives? An evaluation? Rubrics?

Webquests that caught my attention:

Totem Poles of the Northwest
http://www.southernct.edu/~ils6936/totem_poles/webquest.htm

Explorers Webquest
http://jleahy.com/files/webquests/explorers/index.htm

I selected these two because they were pretty cool and related to 5th grade social studies. Due to most of my students reading below grade level, social studies text is very difficult for them to read and comprehend. Thus anything to aide with that is always of interest to me.

6 comments:

  1. Allyson,
    It is so relevant that we as teacher's consider the text reading level of the material that we are presenting our students with. I learned through my recently completed masters degree in reading, that textbooks are, as a rule of thumb, written at least two full grade levels above the grade level that which they are intended for. YIKES, what a scary thought!! I never did see research with regards to the readability factor on websites or WebQuests, but I am sure that many of them have similar stories to those of text books. This is definitely something we as educators need to consider and I am so glad to hear you too have concerns about this!

    TLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - do you seriously have 30 kids in your class. I have similar special education numbers (7 kids), but I have 25 total students. I had the same thoughts about the reading level - which I figured meant I would have to group students to make sure the content was accessible to everyone. I liked the explorer webquest that you found - I'm going to have to share it with my teaching partner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised by the reading levels of the webquests as well. I wonder why the content is written at a higher level than the intended audience...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up some very valid points about web site readability issues. One way to differentiate activities within a WebQuest would be to create two different assignments for each task. One for the at-risk population and the other for the more typical to advanced student. A second way, would be to give students a menu of choices as to how they will demonstrate their learning - play, poster, report, PowerPoint, speech, etc. Working in strategically designed cooperative learning groups might be an option, too. Great resources ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allyson,
    It's so interesting to read your info and points of Web Quests. I experienced using a Web Quest last term created by my teaching partner. I used a class wiki to group the children and allow them to explore collaborating with each other on an Egyptian topic. I think initial thoughts are it's going to be interesting trying to address your points but I see it as open ended. I found that the more able students had a lot more input and hence the Web Quest kind of differentiated itself!

    ReplyDelete